Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A pocket gamer's history

Well, since I'm quite busy right now, instead of starting my new blogging adventure with a kick ass review of some game, I'm going to talk about my past in portable gaming, so that you know exactly what experience I have in the field.

It all started when I was 10 or so, when my parents bought my a Game Boy Color, just like the one in the picture.

I think I actually still remember the games I had. The first one was Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, an "ok" platformer that was hard as hell. Then came one of the most addictive games I've ever played, Pokemon Red. I remember spending the breaks at school playing that game, and even arriving late to the next class because I had to finish that battle in order to save. Also, the game was entirely in English and since I was still a kid back then I actually had to ask my English teacher about what some guy that didn't let me pass was saying.



Moving on, I can't recall exactly what games I got next, but I do remember having Bugs Bunny in Crazy Castle 3 or something, one of the most disappointing games I ever bought (yes, my parents only bought the gameboy, I still had to spend my own money on the games), and Looney Tunes Collector, one of the best games I've played on my Gameboy, very long yet very entertaining.

Then I sold the Gameboy, mainly because I moved on to other systems and never had another portable console, until 2 years ago, when I bought my first N-Gage (I bought a second one later, since the first one had a bad experience with the washing machine). Oh, and the pleasures that ill-fated system gave me! It had few games, but at least most of them were really good games, like the awesome version of Ghost Recon, the brilliant strategy game Pathway to Glory, or the excellent conversion of Splinter Cell (which was actually my first review to be published on PTGamers).

(my N-Gage was like the one in the picture)

Since I'm talking about PTGamers, after I began collaborating there, I kind of was held in charge of the N-Gage section, writing almost all of the reviews for the system, and this kind of job has it's benefits, you know? Like, for example, although Pathway to Glory: Ikusa Islands was only released in October or something, I was already playing the final version in August. Fuck yeah!

Unfortunately my 2nd system passed away in a beautiful morning on May, but in the meantime I bought myself a brand new Nokia 6151, which I've been using to play some brilliant Java games, and, along with the beautiful VisualBoy Advance emulator, is my only way to play portable games.

So expect my upcoming posts to be all about phone and GBA games. Hope I'll write something soon.

Until then, good bye and good (mobile) games ;)

Related posts: Orcs & Elves news, Resident Evil 2 GBA video, Pokemon Pinball GBC, The Game Boy Color feature

9 comments:

  1. A most excellent and terryfying (the washing machine bit, really did it) post oh Mr.N.! Keep 'em coming. Great job, but I see you're a professional in writing huh?

    As for me, I started back in the day of hallowed Lynx and only got a (used) Gameboy towards the end of highschool... Many years later got me a DS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first post! But then we expected that didn't we?

    Hey you two stop making me feel old!

    The first handheld I ever owned was the DS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Followed by a Game Gear though...

    But, making you feel old? How's that Father? After all you aren't that much older than me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing important, gnome, just a picture I posted before. BTW, check the saturn junkyard, there's a post feeling lonely there without comments.

    ReplyDelete