Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Motocross Challenge/Thrust Advance Review

OK I've got these two titles now (find out more about them & how to get them here) as lovely GBA cartridges and I've played them both a little... Motocross Challenge is great! its a nice little 2D bike title... Now I've played a few bike games and unlike driving games, bike games have never really cut it!

There's something about the bike experience that doesn't translate onto video gaming! Still, Motocross Challenge seals the deal! I think its just 'cos its 2D, it takes away the whole physicality of riding a bike and allows you to be an observer... It reminds me of Hot Wheels Stunt Track for the Game Boy Colour. Look here...

You've got to ride you way through a course, avoiding sticky mud and progressing by beating the clock through a series of tracks... of course there are plenty of ramps to allow you to perform 'rad' tricks, but basically, time is your nemesis... If you want to unlock later levels you have to beat Old Father Time...

But what about 'Thrust Advance'? Well its a great 'retro blast', but compared to its homebrew brother, it just doesn't cut it... Sure its got my retro juices flowing, but actually in terms of what I paid for it, I could have had a much better developed GBA title from a mainstream developer!

This would have been a perfect homebrew title to download through Games 'N' Music but we know the problems with that particular title...

So its not a total loss, but its not a total score either...

Worth the money? On the whole YES! I've got a couple of weeks on vacation to truly appreciate these titles... Let's just wait and see yeah?

Related posts: Turok Evolution review, Astro Boy - Omega Factor review, a selection of GBA freeware games

5 comments:

  1. If you want motorbike action you'll be better served with Excitebike (there's a GBA port of the original NES version).

    Motocross Challenge isn't bad at all, but doing wheelies all the time? What were they thinking? Tsk tsk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. (points to other GBA homebrew comment section)

    But, Nebacha, wheelies are fun... And wheeling... Nice too..


    Fantastic write-up Father and think I'm more than convinced. Guess I just have to attempt beatng Time with a stick and a motorbike. Besides, I think we're the only blog around to feature review of these two indy games. Excellent job oh FK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (points to other GBA homebrew comment section)

    But, Nebacha, wheelies are fun... And wheeling... Nice too..


    Fantastic write-up Father and think I'm more than convinced. Guess I just have to attempt beatng Time with a stick and a motorbike. Besides, I think we're the only blog around to feature review of these two indy games. Excellent job oh FK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news if you liked Motocross Challenge on the GBA: an updated version has been released on the iPhone. It should become available by the end of this week on the AppStore.

    ReplyDelete