Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Resident Evil 4 (iPod/iPhone)



I recently got my iPod and was determined to keep it as a repository for my music, a place to download all my Cds, so I could get rid of them, but still retain the music. I was determined that I wouldn't cram it full of games, (as I do with every new phone I get) and I wouldn't buy a load of games for it that I subsequently never played ( as I have with every console I've ever owned!)

The music project is going pretty well, thanks for asking! I'm about a third of the way through my CD collection, and although I'm having to buy an external hard drive to back up the catalogue, I'm pretty happy with it.

However, when I saw that Resident Evil 4 (one of my favourite games of all time) was available for the iPod, I just couldn't resist getting the game as a demo. When you first see Leon S. Kennedy in that village with the Las Plagas shuffling towards him, pitchforks in hand, you can't fail to be impressed. The graphics are just gorgeous, although they do suffer from that all pervasive "brown-ness" that so many of todays games seem to love.

It's only when you start to play the game and try to negotiate it's clumsy touch screen icons which allow you to switch from weapons, to movement, to itinerary, that you realise that this whole beatutiful mess just isn't going to work.

I'm not sure that it's me... it could well be. I find 'tweeting' off my iPod nearly impossible, because my clumsy sausage like fingers find negotiating the tiny keys really tricky. I'd love to hear from more dexterous readers who have found the game as delightful as it was on the Gamecube, The PS2 or the Wii.

If nothing else, it's a very hopeful step in the right direction. Surely the PSP would have been a better vehicle for this game? If the hardware can make such a good job of God Of War, Tekken 5, Soul Calibur and Sega Rally Revo, then perhaps Resi 4 too?

Anyway, the (very short) gaming experience on the iPod has galvanised my resolve to keep it as a music only accessory, so I guess I can be philosophical about my disappointment about RE4!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that, better stick to the music then :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing Father! You singlehandedly revived this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had a flourish of bloggery, untapped for many months! I'll hopefully be posting my thoughts on Fifa 10 for DS whn I get to grips with my latest handheld purchase...

    ReplyDelete